Eastern Kentucky University, as a state agency, abides by the Commonwealth of Kentucky's Model Procurement Code (KRS 45A).
- Purchases less than $3,499 - one (1) quote.
- Purchases between $3,500 - $19,999 - two (2) quotes. Quotations can be accepted via telephone with appropriate attestation by authorized EKU personnel.
- Purchases between $20,000 - $39,999 - three (3) quotes. Quotations must be provided in writing from potential vendors.
- Purchases totaling $40,000 or more will require a formal bid or RFP process; bids will be used to select the lowest cost vendor, and Requests for Proposals (RFPs) will be used when factors other than price are considered in selecting a vendor.
- When a department is unable to secure the required number of quotes, University Procurement will post a public Request for Quotes.
Small Construction/Trade Services Project Quote Requirements:
- Total Cost less than $9,999 - one (1) quote required. Quotations must be provided in writing from potential vendors.
- Total Cost between $10,000 - $39,999 - (3) quotes are required. Quotes must be provided in writing from potential vendors.
- Total Cost over $40,000 - contact Purchasing Office.
Departments should send copies of quotes obtained to Purchasing. Whenever possible quotes should include the Banner requisition number. The Purchasing Officer will obtain additional quotes or process a bid/RFP when it is in the best interest of the University.
University Departments can procure goods by using one of the following means.
- EKU Procurement Credit Card
- Direct Payment Request - (See Accounting and Financial Svc.)
- Purchase Order
- Central Stores Requisition
- Departments may also purchase from Kentucky State Contracts (Kentucky Master Agreements), E&I Contracts, GSA Contracts, or another contract from a university in Kentucky. Please contact University Procurement for more information.
General Purchasing includes the approval and processing of all purchase requisitions submitted by University Departments.
Bid/ RFP Protest: Protest Procedure
Using Discretionary Funds -Non-Discretionary and Discretionary Expenditure Procedures & Guidelines
To Process a Purchase Requisition the following steps should be followed.
A Banner access request form (available at EKU forms) must be completed and approved for each individual who needs to process purchase orders. Each individual is assigned an operator ID number, password and must attend Banner F01 and Banner F04 training classes. Banner Manual
The on-line purchase requisition is entered and completed by the ordering department. The Division of Purchases has final approval for all purchases. Departments may check the status of their order by accessing Document History Form (FOIDOCH) in Banner. Upon receipt of the ordered items, departments should complete an on-line Receiving Goods Form (FPARCVD).
Departments should maintain a listing of all Purchase Order Numbers assigned to their purchases. A PO number should be referenced when inquiring about a purchase.
Capital Equipment Purchases
Capital equipment purchases, items greater than $5,000, require appropriate Vice Presidential approval. VP approval requests should include item(s) requested, justification for purchase, cost, selected vendor, Banner requisition number and funding source. These requests may be submitted via email and approvals forwarded to the Purchasing Office.
iPad and other brand tablet purchases require approval. A Banner requisition is the required acquisition method for this type purchase. Tablet purchase guidelines